1/2 Photos of Jasper's New England Clam Chowder
Jasper White is famous for Chowders. He has published a cookbook of just chowders. This is the pot of chowder served at our house our way, mostly on cold winter nights. It has none of the glue of flour, so is quite good for gluten-intolerant folks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs red potatoes, diced to 1/2 inch
- 3 (6 ounce) cans minced clams
- 32 ounces clam juice (bottles or cans)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- white pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley (or fresh is nice)
- 1Heat 4 to 6 quartsized soup pot, over low heat.
- 2Add diced bacon, rendering fat, cook til crisp, with slotted spoon, remove bacon and set aside.
- 3Add butter to the bacon drippings in the soup pot, then add diced onions, garlic, celery, thyme and bay leaves. Saute, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon, until onions are softened, not brown, about 10 minutes.
- 4Drain the canned clams, saving the liquid into the soup pot. Set the clams aside with the crisp bacon.
- 5Add the diced potatoes and bottled clam juice to the soup pot. Total broth should just barely cover the potatoes, if it does not, add a little water. Cover and cook vigoriously about 10 minutes.
- 6Mash cooked potatoes with a spoon against side of pot to thicken chowder.
- 7Cook 1 to 2 minutes more,uncovered, to release the starch from the potatoes, which causes the chowder to thicken nicely.
- 8Remove from heat. Add clams, bacon, and cream.
- 9Season and add Parsley. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jasper's New England Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.0
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 103.3 mg
- Sodium 589.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 20.2 g