Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from my boyfriend's mom. It is one of his absolute favorites. He told me if I could master it, he would marry me...so of course I have it here for safe keeping! If you like, you can reduce the amount of butter, but it will result in a less rich dish!
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli carrots cauliflower mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped (I also like it with green onion, your choice)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 72 Ritz crackers, crushed (2 sleeves)
- Defrost veggies.Do not cook. Drain. Place in a large baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add soup, cheese, and sour cream. Cook until warm and cheese is melted.
- Pour heated mixture over seasoned veggies.
- Top mixture with crushed crackers. Pour melted butter over crackers.
- Cook in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes, or until crackers are golden.
It seems like, as written, the proportion of veggetables to other ingredients if off. Sixteen oz of frozen california blend barely covers half of the bottom of a large baking dish; it would have been a crackers-cheese-and-soup casserole. So, I used 2 (16 oz) bags of vegetables and that was perfect. I did cut the 1/2 cup of butter in half and used reduced-fat versions of the sour cream and soup. The result was a lucsious comfort-food vegetable casserole. Thanx for sharing this; I'll make this again....... with the 32 oz of veggies, of course.