Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe for "in a hurry" dinners. I keep pre-cooked chicken in the freezer, or buy a deli roasted chicken for recipes like this. It is a snap to put together while you take your shoes off and put your feet up after a long day. You could even assemble before going to work and bake it when you get home.
- 1 (5 ounce) box long grain and wild rice blend, cooked
- 1 lb broccoli, steamed to crisp-tender
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked ham, shredded to bite-size
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (or canned mushrooms ok)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup crushed croutons or 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Spray coat a 9x13-inch pan.
- Layer rice, broccoli, meat, cheese and mushrooms into pan.
- Combine soup, mayonnaise, mustard and curry.
- Pour over layers.
- Combine crushed croutons and melted butter.
- Top the layers.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF.
- for 30 minutes.
I really loved this, the flavor was fantastic. I used leftover ham, no chicken and chopped up a few pieces of broccoli-I'm not a huge fan of mushy broccoli so I just washed it and tossed it in, they were perfectly crisp-tender and reheated well. Gotta say though, the girls 4&5 didn't like the cream soup sauce and husband said it would make a great side dish...lol I will make it again though, probably as a side dish and without the cream soup, but thank you for posting such a great idea.
This was good. I was intrigued by all the different layers to this so thought I'd try it. A little time-consuming since I had to boiol the chicken too, but we all liked it. Thanks.
My family really enjoyed this, and I liked that it's something different to do with all of our leftover ham. Great combination of ingredients. Makes a huge 13x9 casserole, so could easily split into two and freeze one for later. Also easy to prep ahead and bake when needed. Used Recipe #360192 with sautéed celery added, which is my usual sub for canned soup. Used frozen broccoli florets, 1 pound package, and light mayo from Whole Foods. I'm not a huge mayo fan, so for me, I could go with the equivalent of two cans of soup. I did include the seasoning package from the Uncle Ben's, and it was on the salty side, so I would adjust accordingly next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe!