Recipe by HappyMommy1422
This came from the Chicago Tribune's Best of cook book. It's a wonderful side dish, full of flavor.
Top Review by RedVinoGirl
This was good! I think I loved it even more the next day for lunch with some sriracha sauce on top of it. Nonetheless, the cooking instructed were right on and it was flavorful. I did not find it spicy but we're used to heat. Leftovers are great. Would make again.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 large shallots, cut and separated into rings
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a medium-sized sauce pan that has a lid.
- Add the cumin and red pepper.
- Then cook the shallots until soft- 2-3 minutes.
- Remove shallots and set aside.
- Add rice and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken broth and let rice cook on low heat until liquid is absorbed- 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in shallots, vinegar and salt and serve.