Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A vegan recipe from 101 Meatless Family Dishes. Unfortunatley no other rice substitute will do. Can be served either chilled or at room temperature.
- 1 jasmine tea bag
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup fresh green peas (frozen can be used-thawed to room temperature)
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (more or less)
- 2 tablespoons regular sesame oil
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated fresh ginger, to taste (NOT dried ginger)
- Steep the tea bag in 2 cups of boiling water for 4-5 minutes in sauce pan. Discard tea bag, bring water to boil, and add the jasmine rice.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to low and cook 15-17 minutes or until rice grains are soft and fluffy and water is absorbed.
- Remove rice from pan and allow to cool.
- Microwave or steam the green peas just until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process. Once cooled, toss with the carrots and cooled rice.
- *Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl then toss well with the rice mixture. Transfer to a salad bowl.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- *Salad dressing can be prepared several hours in advance to allow to marinate if you desire.
Very clever cooking jasmine rice in jasmine tea! I only have loose leaf jasmine, so I steeped it in a 2c measuring glass then strained it into the saucepan. Proportions are spot on. The peas I thought I had in the freezer were not there, so I chopped up some scallions. It worked. The dressing is extra special with the fresh ginger. I absolutley LOVE this dish. THE PICKY ONE said there were too many carrots. *sigh* Made for ZWT9, Mike & the Appliance Killers!
Interesting way of preparing rice (at least for me) & it does make for a very tasty salad ~ Great dressing, too, especially with the fresh ginger! Wouldn't change a thing on this one! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed while in Asia with ZWT6]