Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tempeh instead of a tuna Casserole. Use good quality cornflakes. A Ken Charney recipe.
Make and share this Jarlsberg Tempeh Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup grated jarlsberg cheese or 1 cup non dairy vegan cheese
- 2 cups cooked noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crushed corn flakes
- Note: Use egg noodles if not vegan and use your favorite vegan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375°F; Pam a 2 to 3-quart casserole. Split tempeh horizontally then cut crosswise in half to make 4 squares.
- In large deep skillet heat over over med high until hot. Add tempeh and fry, turn once. It should be lightly brown on both sides about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper and sprinkle with the salt. As soon as you can handle it cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add onion to oil and cook over medium stirring a few times until lightly browned about 5 to 7 minutes. Add pepper and cook until it softens about 3 more minutes.
- Add flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in soy milk and bring to a boil stirring frequently until sauce thickens. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes then stir in Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Add noodles and peas. Season to taste. Transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle cornflakes on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly brown and crispy on top.