Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tempeh instead of a tuna Casserole. Use good quality cornflakes. A Ken Charney recipe.
Make and share this Jarlsberg Tempeh Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup grated jarlsberg cheese or 1 cup non dairy vegan cheese
- 2 cups cooked noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crushed corn flakes
- Note: Use egg noodles if not vegan and use your favorite vegan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375°F; Pam a 2 to 3-quart casserole. Split tempeh horizontally then cut crosswise in half to make 4 squares.
- In large deep skillet heat over over med high until hot. Add tempeh and fry, turn once. It should be lightly brown on both sides about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper and sprinkle with the salt. As soon as you can handle it cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add onion to oil and cook over medium stirring a few times until lightly browned about 5 to 7 minutes. Add pepper and cook until it softens about 3 more minutes.
- Add flour and cook stirring constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in soy milk and bring to a boil stirring frequently until sauce thickens. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes then stir in Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Add noodles and peas. Season to taste. Transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle cornflakes on top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly brown and crispy on top.
YUM! We loved this one! Thanks for intruducing me to Jarlsburg cheese!