Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This recipe is from international recipes.net for Switzerland.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
This was my first time making (and eating, for that matter!) popovers, and I am really pleased with the experience! These rose beautifully, and the melty cheese on the inside was a huge hit with my crew. I doubled the recipe and used a few different cheeses, all of which worked out fine. I used 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 white whole wheat, and I don't think the airiness of the popovers suffered for it. Thanks so much--I know I will make these again! Made for ZWT 7, for the Vivacious Violets.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons jarlsberg cheese, shredded (Swiss Cheese )
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F Grease 4 standard size muffin cups ( 2 1/2 inch diameter ) of a 6 cup muffin tin.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl. In separate bowl beat egg, milk. butter and mustard. Pour over dry ingredients and stir to form a batter. Do not beat mixture!.
- Fill bottom of each muffin cup with 1 Tbs of the cheese to evenly distribute over bottom of muffin cup. . Divide batter among the muffin cups and sprinkle top of batter with remaining Tbs of the cheese. Fill the empty muffin tins 1/2 way with water. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Carefully remove from oven. Remove from muffin tin and serve warm.