Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from international recipes.net for Switzerland.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons jarlsberg cheese, shredded (Swiss Cheese )
- Preheat oven to 450°F Grease 4 standard size muffin cups ( 2 1/2 inch diameter ) of a 6 cup muffin tin.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl. In separate bowl beat egg, milk. butter and mustard. Pour over dry ingredients and stir to form a batter. Do not beat mixture!.
- Fill bottom of each muffin cup with 1 Tbs of the cheese to evenly distribute over bottom of muffin cup. . Divide batter among the muffin cups and sprinkle top of batter with remaining Tbs of the cheese. Fill the empty muffin tins 1/2 way with water. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Carefully remove from oven. Remove from muffin tin and serve warm.
This was my first time making (and eating, for that matter!) popovers, and I am really pleased with the experience! These rose beautifully, and the melty cheese on the inside was a huge hit with my crew. I doubled the recipe and used a few different cheeses, all of which worked out fine. I used 1/2 AP flour and 1/2 white whole wheat, and I don't think the airiness of the popovers suffered for it. Thanks so much--I know I will make these again! Made for ZWT 7, for the Vivacious Violets.
These were simple to make and very tasty. I had wished the cheese flavor had come through a little more and would probably use a sharper flavored cheese next time, though I love the crunchy, cheesy bottoms. I baked them in my cast iron muffin which has slightly smaller cups so I got 5. Made for the 2015 Culinary Quest by one of the Toasted Tourists
These are deliciously savory. I wish I had doubled or tripled the recipe. Not only are they delicious, they look as good as they taste. My picky DH loved these, too, and that's saying a lot! These would be a hit for a dinner party or a potluck event. Thanks, Lavender Lynn. Made for Aussie Kiwi Recipe Swap #60, Group 3.