Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this recipe in the Food Section in the Chronicle newspaper quite awhile ago. This dish is supposedly adapted from "Omelettes, Souffles & Frittatas", (Chronicle Books 1999). NOTE: I always make this omelet with Ham instead of Proscuitto, and always, always use Gruyere cheese. Very easy dish to prepare, and tastes wonderful.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 3-cup baking dish, about 6 inches in diameter.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until just blended.
- Beat in the milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, prosciutto and cheese.
- Pour into the baking dish, drizzle melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes , or until set and lightly browned.
Very easy and great tasting. I used Gouda and it came out with a nice soft flavor.
I scaled this back for half the recipe for 2 of us but after one mouthful couldn't eat anymore as I found it way to salty and I hadn't added any salt so it must have been my prosciutto but the DM who is a salt fiend absolutely loved it so would consider making again for her as it is a very easy recipe to make, thank you Gail Stines, made for Name that Ingredient tag game.
The cheese made this tasty but it just did not seem to work for me. Instead of 30 min cooking I needed over 45 minutes. I had it in a 7" round dish but it still took forever to cook. Once cooked it was ok but just did not do it for me???!! :-)