Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Norway's Jarlsberg cheese, with its smooth, nutty flavor, pairs perfectly with leftover ham in this quick and easy oven-baked omelette. It tastes just as delicious with light Jarlsberg if you are interested in trimming the fat. And, when I make it, I use a combination of whole eggs and Egg Beaters to further cut calories.
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups shredded jarlsberg cheese (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup diced ham, Canadian bacon (crumbled) or 1 cup fried bacon (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 400º. In a large, oven-proof frying pan, slowly saute the red onion and caraway seeds in olive oil over medium heat until onion begins to brown (about 10 minutes).
- While the onion browns, whisk together eggs, water, shredded Jarlsberg cheese, and diced ham. When onion has become translucent and brown around the edges, fold egg mixture into onions in frying pan and allow to cook at medium an additional 2 or 3 minutes to brown the bottom of the omelette.
- Transfer frying pan to upper rack of preheated oven and cook until nicely browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
This is such an easy, beautiful omelette! I used all eggs and the crumbled fried bacon. I cut the recipe in half and it was simply delicious. Next time, I may try adding some fresh shroooms and fresh herbs as well, I see all sorts of possibilities here. Thanks for posting Jan. Made for ZWT 6.
We had this for brunch and it was oh so good ! We will make this again!Made for ZWT 6 Queens of Quisine!