Jardaloo Sali Boti (Curried Lamb With Apricots and Almonds)
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, stir together the lamb, vinegar, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, fennel seeds, cardamom, saffron, cloves and salt until the meat is thoroughly coated in the spices.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent (3 minutes).
- Scrape the contents of the skillet into the slow cooker. Stir in the apricots, almonds, vegetable broth and tomato sauce.
- Cover and cook on low until the meat is very tender (6-8 hours). If you left the bones with the meat, remove the meat with tongs and separate the meat from the bones, discarding the bones.
- Degrease the sauce, if necessary, by laying a paper towel on the surface to soak up the fat, then remove and discard it. Repeat with another paper towel, if needed.
- Return the deboned meat to the sauce and season to taste with salt. Serve over shoestring potatoes for a traditional Parsi meal. You can also serve it over cooked brown rice, over couscous or steamed, stemmed spinach.