8 hrs 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This slow cooker recipe is for a tasty Parsi dish from India.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces excess fat trimmed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled minced (2-inch piece)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup dried turkish apricot, packed
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (9 ounce) can shoestring potatoes (Pik-Nik brand recommended)
- 1In a 6-quart slow cooker, stir together the lamb, vinegar, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, fennel seeds, cardamom, saffron, cloves and salt until the meat is thoroughly coated in the spices.
- 2In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent (3 minutes).
- 3Scrape the contents of the skillet into the slow cooker. Stir in the apricots, almonds, vegetable broth and tomato sauce.
- 4Cover and cook on low until the meat is very tender (6-8 hours). If you left the bones with the meat, remove the meat with tongs and separate the meat from the bones, discarding the bones.
- 5Degrease the sauce, if necessary, by laying a paper towel on the surface to soak up the fat, then remove and discard it. Repeat with another paper towel, if needed.
- 6Return the deboned meat to the sauce and season to taste with salt. Serve over shoestring potatoes for a traditional Parsi meal. You can also serve it over cooked brown rice, over couscous or steamed, stemmed spinach.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jardaloo Sali Boti (Curried Lamb With Apricots and Almonds)
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 971.1
- Calories from Fat 685
- Total Fat 76.1 g
- Saturated Fat 29.4 g
- Cholesterol 218.3 mg
- Sodium 620.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 54.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: