Recipe by sofie-a-toast
I've recently become addicted to Korean BBQ and this is my favorite side dish! The noodles called for are made with sweet potato (although don't really taste like it) and are very healthy yet delicious! This can be made with or without meat. It's delicious both ways! A video can be found here: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae
- korean starch noodles (dangmyun)
- 150 g beef (optional)
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 medium size carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 medium size onion, sliced thinly
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 -8 green onions, cut into 7 cm long pieces
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 5 dried shitake mushrooms in warm water for a few hours until they become soft. Squeeze the water out of them and slice thinly.
- Boil 2 bunches of noodles in boiling water in a big pot for about 3 minutes. When the noodles are soft, drain them and put in a large bowl.
- Cut the noodles several times by using scissors and add 1 tbs of soy sauce and 1 tbs of sesame oil. Mix it up and set aside.
- *tip: Take one sample and taste it to see whether or not it’s cooked properly. If it feels soft, it’s finished.
- In the boiling water, add a bunch of spinach and stir it gently for 1 minute. Then take it out and rinse it in cold water 3 times. Remove any grit or dead leaves thoroughly while rinsing. Squeeze it gently to get the water out, then cut it into 5 cm pieces. Add ½ tbs soy sauce and ½ tbs sesame oil and mix it and place it onto the large bowl.
- *tip: When you drain the hot water from the pot, don’t discard the hot water. Put it back into the pot so you can cook your spinach quickly.
- On a heated pan, put a few drops of olive oil and your carrot strips and stir it with a spatula for 30 seconds. Put it into the large bowl (don’t burn it!).
- Place a few drops of olive oil on the pan and add your sliced onion. Stir it until the onion looks translucent. Put it into the large bowl with your carrots.
- Place a few drops of olive oil on the pan and add the sliced white mushrooms. Stir it for a bit and then put it in the large bowl.
- Place a few drops of olive oil on the pan and add your green onions. Stir for 1 minute and put it into the large bowl.
- Place a few drops of olive oil on the pan and add your beef strips (optional) and your sliced shitake mushrooms. Stir it until it’s cooked well, then add 3 cloves of minced garlic, ½ tbs soy sauce and ½ tbs sugar. Stir for another 30 seconds and then put it into the large bowl.
- Add 2 tbs of soy sauce, 3 tbs of sugar, 2 tbs of sesame oil, and 1 ts of ground pepper to the large bowl. Mix all ingredients, then sprinkle 1 tbs of toasted sesame seeds on the top.