In 'Cat Cora's Classics with a Twist'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) package dried udon noodles
- 8 cups chicken stock (low sodium canned or homemade)
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup trimmed snow peas, sliced 1/2-inch on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced small brown button mushroom
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion (white and light green parts only)
- 1Cook the udon noodles according to the package directions; drain and set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil; decrease heat to medium and add in the ginger and carrots.
- 3Cook until the carrots are crisp-tender, 1-2 minutes.
- 4Add in the snow peas and cook until slightly tender but still bright green, about 1 minute.
- 5Add the mushrooms, cook for 30 minutes, and remove from heat.
- 6Place the miso on a medium bowl and add a ladleful of hot broth.
- 7Whisk until the miso is completely dissolved, then stir the mixture back into the soup.
- 8Do not let the soup come to a boil, or the mixo will lose some of its flavor.
- 9Taste the soup for saltiness and add soy sauce to taste.
- 10Stir in the scallions.
- 11With tongs, place noodles in each soup bowl (allowing 3/4 cup for 6 servings, 1 1/4 cups for 4 servings).
- 12Ladle in the soup and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Japanese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Japanese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Udon Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.1
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 14.4 mg
- Sodium 2719.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 24.1 g