Japanese Takikomi-Gohan (Rice Medley)
- - Wash the rice and let drain in a colander for 30 minutes before transferring to a pot.
- - Soak the mushrooms in 1-1/2 C lukewarm water for 20 minutes to soften. Remove the stems and thinly slice the caps. Reserve 1 C of the soaking water.
- - Add the reserved water, dashi (2C + 1T) and sake to the rice and let stand for another 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Douse the thin deep-fried tofu sheet with boiling water to remove excess oil. Cut in half, then thinly slice. Cut the carrot into thin, 3 cm (1 in.) long sticks.
- Before cooking the rice, add the chicken and other ingredients, except for peas. Cook the rice as usual in the rice cooker.
- Gently mix in the peas after the rice is finished cooking.