If you thought Japanese cuisine didn't include comfort food, think again. This hugely popular dish, both here and in Japan, has a lot in common with our Southern chicken-fried steak. Pork cutlets are seasoned, breaded, and fried until golden brown, then served with a thick Worcestershire-based Asian-style barbecue sauce and shredded cabbage. From the Take-Out Menu Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 (1/2 inch) thick pork cutlets or 6 (1/2 inch) boneless pork chops
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 -2 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- finely shredded cabbage, for serving
- lemon wedge, for serving
- white rice, for serving
- 1To make the sauce: Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Let stand for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- 2To make the tonkatsu: Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet to 360º.
- 3Pat the pork cutlets dry with paper towels, and make a few vertical slits on the outer rim of the cutlets to prevent them from curling when cooked.
- 4Season both sides of the pork with salt & pepper, and dredge with flour, shaking off any excess.
- 5Mix the eggs with 1 tablespoon water in a shallow bowl.
- 6Dip the cutlets in the egg, then coat in panko breadcrumbs. Gently slide the cutlets into the oil and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side until golden brown, or just cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
- 7Cut each cutlet crosswise into 1-inch strips. Arrange on individual plates and garnish with cabbage and lemon wedges. Serve with a dish of tonkatsu sauce on the side for dipping. Accompany with rice.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Take-Out Tonkatsu (Fried Pork Cutlets)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.0
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 1230.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: