Recipe by COOKGIRl
From the International Vegetarian Cookbook. Serve the tofu over steamed brown rice or use as a sandwich filling!
Top Review by White Rose Child
YUUMMM yum! What a great supper tonight! Wonderful flavor! I did change this quite a bit (and am posting my own version), but since it was a jumping-off point with great basic ingredients I'm giving it mega stars. Thanks for posting!
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon miso (I used yellow miso)
- 1 scallion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons fresh watercress leaves or 2 tablespoons fresh daikon sprouts
- black sesame seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tofu into 4 rectangular pieces and remove the excess moisture by placing heavy pans directly on top of the tofu. Let stand about 20 minutes.
- Heat both oils up in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Fry the tofu on all sides to seal.
- Place the tofu on a serving platter.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger and water (or broth). Just before the mixture comes to a boil, whisk in the miso.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked tofu. Garnish with scallions, watercress or daikon sprouts, and the black sesame seeds.
- Can be served hot or at room temperature.