This was submitted during a discussion about the merits (or lack of) of carrots in potato salad. I really love this salad for a change, so I'm on the side of the occasional carrot in potato salad!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium potatoes, halved lengthways,then sliced across into thick chunks,soak in cold water 2 minutes,drain
- 2 carrots, halved vertically then sliced into 1/2 moons
- 1 large onion, halve,then cut into wedges
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cucumber, halved vertically,sliced thinly,sprinkled with a little salt and left to stand for 10 minutes before
- 1Heat the oil in a deep fry pan or saucepan.
- 2Stir fry the potatoes, carrots and onion 2 minutes.
- 3Dissolve the stock cube in 7fl oz boiling water and pour into the pan.
- 4Add the vinegar, sugar and salt.
- 5Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- 6Uncover and cook over a moderate heat until all the liquid has evaporated.
- 7Shake the pan gently occasionally to prevent the vegetables sticking to the pan as the liquid dries up.
- 8Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 30 seconds then add the beaten egg, stirring quickly until the egg sets.
- 9Transfer to a dish, leave to cool, then chill.
- 10Add the drained cucumber to the potato mixture, check seasoning and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese-style potato salad
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.5
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 361.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable stock cubes