Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was submitted during a discussion about the merits (or lack of) of carrots in potato salad. I really love this salad for a change, so I'm on the side of the occasional carrot in potato salad!
- 4 medium potatoes, halved lengthways,then sliced across into thick chunks,soak in cold water 2 minutes,drain
- 2 carrots, halved vertically then sliced into 1/2 moons
- 1 large onion, halve,then cut into wedges
- 4 teaspoons oil
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1⁄2 cucumber, halved vertically,sliced thinly,sprinkled with a little salt and left to stand for 10 minutes before
- Heat the oil in a deep fry pan or saucepan.
- Stir fry the potatoes, carrots and onion 2 minutes.
- Dissolve the stock cube in 7fl oz boiling water and pour into the pan.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook over a moderate heat until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Shake the pan gently occasionally to prevent the vegetables sticking to the pan as the liquid dries up.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 30 seconds then add the beaten egg, stirring quickly until the egg sets.
- Transfer to a dish, leave to cool, then chill.
- Add the drained cucumber to the potato mixture, check seasoning and serve.
Thank you for this incredible recipe! I didnt change a thing and it was marvelous!