This is being posted as per a request. I found it in Sunset Magazine, December 2007 edition. Look for dried bean-thread noodles, mirin (sweet sake or rice wine), and Sriracha (Southeast Asian hot chile sauce) in the Asian section of the supermarket.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces dried bean thread noodles (saifun or cellophane noodles,)
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mirin or 1/2 cup cream sherry
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 -5 slices peeled fresh ginger (thin slices)
- 12 ounces chicken thigh fillets or 12 ounces chicken breast fillets, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, and cut into thin slices
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas or 4 ounces snow peas
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-in . cubes
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-in . lengths (green and white parts)
- sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1In a small bowl, soak bean-thread noodles in boiling water until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 2Drain and cut into 6- to 10-in. lengths.
- 3In a 5- to 6-qt. pot or a 12-in. frying pan (with sides at least 2 inches high), bring broth, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, and ginger to a boil over high heat.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- 5Arrange noodles, chicken, bell pepper, peas, mushrooms, tofu, and green onions in separate piles in the pot.
- 6Cover and simmer, without stirring, until chicken chunks are no longer pink in the center (cut one to test), about 5 minutes.
- 7Set pot on the table so people can serve themselves, with Sriracha on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese-Style One Pot Supper
Serving Size: 1 (604 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.2
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 71.1 mg
- Sodium 1363.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 31.4 g