1/1 Photo of Japanese-Style Crispy Pork
Crafty Lady 13's Note:
Thin, crispy pork cutlets breaded with panko served with a side of spicy cucumbers and sauce. From the May 2010 Food Network Magazine. Tip from the magazine: To make your own dipping sauce, mix 2 tablespoons each ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and sugar with 1 tablespoon water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb thin-cut boneless pork chops or 1 lb pork cutlet, trimmed
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons rice wine, sake or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated peeled ginger
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup Tonkatsu sauce (a sweet-spicy Japanese dipping sauce, see above to make your own)
- 1Season the pork with salt. Mix the rice wine and 1 teaspoon ginger and spread on the pork. Stack the pork and set aside.
- 2Peel, quarter and seed the cucumbers; cut into 4-inch spears. Toss with the sugar and vinegar. Toast the pepper flakes with 1 tablespoon salt in a skillet over medium heat, about 4 minutes; set aside.
- 3Beat the eggs with 1/2 cup water in a shallow bowl. Put the panko and cornstarch in 2 separate shallow bowls. Dredge each piece of pork in cornstarch, dip in egg, then coat with panko. Heat 1/4 inch of peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the pork in batches until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- 4Sprinkle the cucumbers with some of the spiced salt. Mix the tonkatsu sauce and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon ginger in a bowl. Serve the pork with the cucumbers and sauce.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese-Style Crispy Pork
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.9
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 215.4 mg
- Sodium 508.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 37.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar