1/2 Photos of Japanese Style Chicken in a Pot Soup
Try to find fresh shiitake mushrooms or black Chinese mushrooms for this, as they add a very distinctive flavor to the soup. If you can't find them, substitute 2 oz of dried mushrooms that have been rehydrated according to the package directions. This is a nice, light tasting chicken noodle soup. A girlfriend that moved from California gave me this recipe....don't know where she got it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces japanese noodles, uncooked (soba or udon)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces chicken breasts, skinned and boned, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup carrot, very thinly sliced
- 9 fresh shiitake mushrooms or 9 fresh black Chinese mushrooms, halved
- 6 large napa cabbage leaves, cut into 2 inch squares
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, drained
- 3 green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 12 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Cook noodles according to the package directions; drain. Set aside.
- 2Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and carrot; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 3Stir in the mushrooms, Napa cabbage leaves, bamboo shoots, and green onions. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the reserved noodles, cubed tofu, sherry, pepper, and soy sauce. Simmer uncovered an additional 10 minutes or until the mixture is thoroughly heated.
- 5Serve in individual soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Style Chicken in a Pot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (3428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.7
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.8 mg
- Sodium 568.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 13.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
napa cabbage leaves