Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sunomono (pronounced soo-noh-moh-noh) is Japanese for vinegared foods. It is a salad made with raw or cooked vegetables, meats, or seafood with a sweet vinaigrette and seasonings. Prep time is minimum chill time.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup thinly sliced radish
- 1⁄2 cup julienned carrot
- 3 New York strip steaks (3/4 inch thick)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To prepare sunomono----------------.
- Place cucumber in a colander.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Squeeze out liquid.
- Rinse with water.
- Squeeze again.
- Combine vinegar and sugar.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add cucumber, radishes and carrots.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To prepare steaks----------------.
- Place steaks in a shallow dish.
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, ginger and garlic.
- Pour over steaks.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Broil or grill steaks to desired doneness.
- (I also use my rotissorie when I don't grill) Slice across the grain in 1/2 inch thickness.
- Serve with sunomono.
I really liked the sunomomo! Even my wife, who is not a radish person, enjoyed it. I overcooked the steak, but then again, I tend to do that, so it wasn't as good as it could have been. But the flavor was nice, not too sweet and not too salty. I would make this again.