Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is peppery and rich in flavor with dashi (bonito flakes) and vegetables. It is a quick pick me up soup any time of the day.
- Place red peppers in a 450°F oven. When skins start to turn brown and shriveled, take out and place in brown paper sacks.Cool.
- Chop water chestnuts in thin slivers.
- Cut onions in thin slices.
- In stockpot, add chestnuts, onions, salt, bay leave, dashi and chicken broth. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes until heated.
- Peel skin off of peppers and seeds, throw away. Cut pepper in narrow long strips. Add to broth.
- Add soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Note: If the taste is too strong for your taste buds, add 1 cup water.
This is a certain "will make again" soup. My boys are on spring break and only one stayed here instead of vacationing. So we made this together for lunch. It was a break that I had everything in the house. He was thrilled to learn how to roast and peel the fresh peppers. We both liked the soup. I did use my own homemade chicken broth to control both the fat and sodium content. This is a nice first course soup.