Montana Heart Song's Note:
This soup is peppery and rich in flavor with dashi (bonito flakes) and vegetables. It is a quick pick me up soup any time of the day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large red sweet peppers
- 3 spring onions
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons salt substitute
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons dashi (dried bonito flakes)
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kikkoman light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- white pepper
- 1Place red peppers in a 450°F oven. When skins start to turn brown and shriveled, take out and place in brown paper sacks.Cool.
- 2Chop water chestnuts in thin slivers.
- 3Cut onions in thin slices.
- 4In stockpot, add chestnuts, onions, salt, bay leave, dashi and chicken broth. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes until heated.
- 5Peel skin off of peppers and seeds, throw away. Cut pepper in narrow long strips. Add to broth.
- 6Add soy sauce and lemon juice.
- 7Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 8Note: If the taste is too strong for your taste buds, add 1 cup water.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Red Pepper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.3
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1987.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: