Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This soup is peppery and rich in flavor with dashi (bonito flakes) and vegetables. It is a quick pick me up soup any time of the day.
- 2 large red sweet peppers
- 3 spring onions
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt substitute
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons dashi (dried bonito flakes)
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kikkoman light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- white pepper
- Place red peppers in a 450°F oven. When skins start to turn brown and shriveled, take out and place in brown paper sacks.Cool.
- Chop water chestnuts in thin slivers.
- Cut onions in thin slices.
- In stockpot, add chestnuts, onions, salt, bay leave, dashi and chicken broth. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes until heated.
- Peel skin off of peppers and seeds, throw away. Cut pepper in narrow long strips. Add to broth.
- Add soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Note: If the taste is too strong for your taste buds, add 1 cup water.
This is a certain "will make again" soup. My boys are on spring break and only one stayed here instead of vacationing. So we made this together for lunch. It was a break that I had everything in the house. He was thrilled to learn how to roast and peel the fresh peppers. We both liked the soup. I did use my own homemade chicken broth to control both the fat and sodium content. This is a nice first course soup.