1 hr 40 mins
I found this on the internet several years ago by Hiroyuki Sato on the Tokyo Food Page. Try it with a bit of chopped apple slices; you might be surprised how well it tastes. The versatilty of this salad makes it very easy to eat: At parties served as is or with crackers; I often eat it as a sandwich on hearty breads for lunch or a snack. For my non-meat eating friends, I just omit the slices of ham and it still tastes great! If you do have access to the asian market, try the Japanese Kewpie Brand Mayo; it's in a clear squeezable plastic bottle with a red cap with a picture of the Kewpie doll on the plastic wrap. This condiment adds a special bit of zing; if not accessible, Miracle Whip could also substitute (though I grew up on Best Foods/Hellman's, this is one time the mayo may make a difference...)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb russet potato
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced in a teaspoon of salt (see directions)
- 1/2 small sweet onion, thinly sliced (see directions)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard (a touch of Dijon mustard is also nice)
- 3 ham slices, cut into small squares (sandwich meat slices)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use Kewpie brand or Miracle Whip)
- 1 -2 slice fuji apple (about 1/8 inch slices)
- 1Boil the unpeeled potatoes. Meanwhile, cut the cucumber lengthwise and remove the seeds (or use english cucumbers and skip this step.)
- 2Cut the cucumber into thin slices and place them in a small bowl. Add one teaspoon salt and mix well; set aside.
- 3Cut the onion into paper thin slices and soak them in cold water until you're ready to use them.
- 4When the potatoes are done, remove the skins and cut the potatoes lenghtwise, then cut them into pieces about 1 inch wide.
- 5Wash the cucumber with water and squeeze out the water out. Also squeeze water from the onion. Place the potatoes, cucumber and onion slices, ham and the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- 6Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Optional: Add julienned carrots for more color.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Potato Salad (With Apple!)
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.8
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 50.3 mg
- Sodium 1199.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 15.3 g