Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very tasty and refreshing little treat! Goes great with sushi and as a side to spicy dishes, as a cooling accompaniment. Prep time does not include marinating time.
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt (to sprinkle)
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Place cucumbers in a bowl, sprinkle with salt, and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse cucumbers under cold water to remove salt.
- Mix together rice vinegar, sugar, and salt, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Pour over cucumbers.
- Marinate cucumbers overnight in refrigerator in sealed container.
This is very easy, very quick and very refreshing. I used plain rice vinegar and agree that the seasoned vinegar would have been a good choice.
Simple, tasty treatment. Be aware that the 1st two teaspoons of salt are for the initial salting of the cucumbers and *not* for the marinade :-) Also, if using a slightly more mature cucumber, it may be better to halve and seed it first.
Excellent side dish for Japanese and spicy dishes, such as the Thai red curry we had the other night. However, my Japanese mates here in Tokyo commented that it's too sweet, so in the marinade I put the same amount of sugar as salt in, and they much prefer it that way.