Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Udon noodles can be substituted for any spaghetti-like pasta.
For the Soup
- 453.59 g udon noodles or 453.59 g soba noodles
- 946.36 ml dashi or 946.36 ml other stock
- 78.07 ml mild soy sauce
- 78.07 ml mirin
- 14.79 ml sugar
- salt (optional)
- 118.29 ml finely minced scallion
- 14.79 ml peeled and freshly grated ginger
- 946.0 ml cold water
- 0 kombu (kelp)
- 1-1 dried bonito flakes
- Prepare the Dashi by combining the water and kombu in a 2-3 quart sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Allow to come to almost a boil, if the kombu is tender remove it. If it's not tender add a little cold water and cook for a few more minutes. Do not let the mixture boil!
- Remove the kombu and turn off the heat.
- Add the bonito flakes to the liquid and let it sit for a minute or two.
- Strain the stock, pressing the flakes to extract as much liquid as possible. Use immediately or refrigerate and use within 2 days.
- For the main dish, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and cook the noodles until they are al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- While the noodles are cooking, heat the stock (if using) and add the soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add salt to taste.
- When the noodles are done, drain and add to the stock.
- Garnish with scallions and ginger.