Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In '1,000 Lowfat Recipes' by Terry Blonder Golson
- 1 (8 ounce) packagejapanese noodles (udon or soba)
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets (sliced stems can also be used)
- 1 carrot, grated (or thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cook the noodles, drain, run under cool water, drain again, and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli and carrots until the color of the broccoli brightens, about 3 minutes.
- Stop the cooking process by immersing the vegetables in cold water.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan until it is hot but not bubbling.
- Add the sesame seeds.
- Remove the pan from the heat as soon as the seeds turn light brown.
- Stir the scallions into the hot oil; they will wilt.
- Combine the noodles, vegetables, sesame oil, and scallions.
- Add the soy sauce and lemon juice.
- Serve at room temperature.