1/65 Photos of Japanese Mum's Chicken
We have a Japanese girl, Tomoko, living with us, and tonight she and I cooked a Japanese dinner for us and her friends. She phoned her mum,Toshiko, in Japan for this, as it's her favourite recipe, and I wanted to share it here. It's simple and so good, and Tomoko, who is only 16, did such a good job of cooking this, then translating the recipe to English for me. *The liquid will thicken to a glaze if you are patient. It just takes a bit of time. If you feel your chicken is cooked (and going to overcook) remove it before going on to reduce the liquid. Same thing, if you must use breast meat, remove it (so it doesn't dry out) and continue reducing the liquid . If you do it this way rather than thickening with cornstarch you will get a richer glaze and not need to add stock or broth instead of the water. It just takes patience. AND NOTE: A glaze is sticky and coats the meat, this is NOT a sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place all the ingredients in a saucepan over a high heat.
- 2Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 3Remove any scum that rises to the surface.
- 4Increase the heat, turning the drumsticks frequently in the liquid, and cook until the liquid has reduced to a sticky glaze.
- 5Arrange the chicken on a serving platter, remove the garlic clove and chili from the liquid, and spoon the glaze over.
- 6NOTE It's a glaze rather than a sauce, so there's not a whole lot of it.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Mum's Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.1
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 118.2 mg
- Sodium 1470.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 31.0 g