1/1 Photo of Japanese Milk Bread or Rolls With Sourdough
20 hrs 15 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
I love the Tangzhong or water roux method for bread. It produces the softest bread or rolls with excellent flavor. I've added sourdough to this, but a poolish would work well, too. Just use 1/2 cup water and 1 scant cup of flour and add 1/8 teaspoon of yeast. In a few hours at room temperature, covered, you'll have a flavorful base for the bread to go along with the water roux. The poolish will rise and be bubbly with a nice aroma.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Sourdough Starter (3/4 cup thick starter)
- 1Refresh your sourdough starter with a cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water to make a thick starter and let double in volume.
- 2To make roux, mix flour and water and heat slowly until it begins to thicken and trails can be seen as it's stirred. Take off heat and continue to stir for about a minute.
- 3Drop the cold butter pats onto the roux to keep the roux from forming a film.
- 4When the roux is lukewarm, mix it with the sourdough starter and the rest of the ingredients in a mixer. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 5Knead well, for about 8 to 10 minutes and tip out onto a floured counter.
- 6Stretch the dough into a rectangle and fold letter-style, top to bottom and side to side. Place in an oiled, clear straight sided container and cover. after 15 minutes, stretch and fold again. Put back into container.
- 7Let rise until doubled in volume from the original volume.
- 8Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 9After the rise, shape a loaf and place in an 8 inch by 4.5 inch pan that's well oiled. Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise until 1 inch above the walls of the pan. Brush the loaves lightly with an egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon of water and bake for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes for even baking.
- 10If making rolls, divide risen dough into 12 pieces (56 to 57g each). Shape as desired and place on parchment paper, cover and let rise until puffed and about 50% larger in size. A piece of dough in a straight sided juice glass to judge when the dough is 1.5 times its original volume.
- 11Brush the loaves lightly with an egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon of water and bake in 350F oven for 6 minutes, turn and bake for 7 minutes until browned and 200F internally.
- 12Cool on rack before serving.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Milk Bread or Rolls With Sourdough
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.1
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 154.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 4.1 g