Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A Japanese restaurant favorite. May be best suited for the more experienced fan of Japanese cuisine.
- 453.59 g Japanese eggplant
- 59.14 ml bonito flakes
- 395.10 ml dashi
- 29.58 ml light soy sauce
- 4.92 ml mirin
- 118.29 ml dashi
- 44.37 ml dark soy sauce
- 9.85 ml mirin
- 4.92 ml fresh grated ginger
- Bring seasoning ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan and let cool.
- Bring sauce to a boil in a small saucepan and let cool.
- Grill eggplants whole on a wire rack on grill until they are soft and feel tender.
- Test with your finger or a toothpick to see how soft it is.
- Place in cold water to cool; then peel and pat dry.
- Put eggplant in seasoning liquid; allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove eggplant and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place eggplant into serving dish; top with some sauce and a few bonito flakes; serve at room temperature or chilled.
Delicious! Thank you! I only had one type of shoyu and the recipe worked fine.