1 hr 10 mins
Jenny Grindele's Note:
I have no idea where the name "Japanese Fruit Cake" originated from but this is very North American. A bit of trouble & expensive to make but your family & guests will rave over the taste for it is nothing like the traditional fruit cake usually served at Christmas time. It has been in our family for years & a holiday tradition for as long as I can remember. Serve small portions as it is very rich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup golden raisin
- pecan halves (to garnish)
- 1TO MAKE CAKE: Cream butter.
- 2Gradually add sugar beating w/mixer on medium speed.
- 3Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4Combine flour& baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning& ending w/flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- 5Stir in vanilla extract.
- 6Pour 1/3 of batter into well buttered& floured 9" round cake pan.
- 7Stir cinnamon& next 3 ingredients into the remaining batter.
- 8Pour into 2 well-buttered& floured 9" round cake pans.
- 9Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until knife blade inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove& cool completely on racks.
- 11Spread frosting between layers, on top& sides.
- 12Stack white layer between the 2 spiced layers.
- 13Garnish with pecan halves.
- 14FROSTING: Dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup water; set aside.
- 15Bring remaining 1 cup water to boiling in medium saucepan.
- 16Stir in the sugar, rind& juice.
- 17Return to a boil.
- 18Cook to soft ball stage (236 degrees F), stirring often.
- 19Gradually add to cornstarch mixture& continue.
- 21Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick& bubbly.
- 22Remove from heat, stir in coconut.
- 24Stir frosting before spreading on cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Fruit Cake My Mom Used to Make
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.0
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 149.2 mg
- Sodium 217.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 70.1 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: