Something totally different from Food & Wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon nori, flakes (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 -2 tablespoon sambal oelek or 1 -2 tablespoon other asian red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 4 white sweet potatoes (3 pounds) or 4 orange sweet potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick sticks (3 pounds)
- 1In a large pot, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350°.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the nori flakes with the shichimi togarashi, salt and pepper. In another small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the sambal oelek and lime juice.
- 3Working in batches, fry the sweet potato sticks until they are tender and golden, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sweet potato fries to paper towel–lined plates to drain.
- 4Generously sprinkle the hot fries with the nori-togarashi mixture and serve immediately with the spicy mayonnaise on the side.
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Frites
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.3
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 1361.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: