Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
Something totally different from Food & Wine.
Make and share this Japanese Frites recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon nori, flakes (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 -2 tablespoon sambal oelek or 1 -2 tablespoon other asian red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 4 white sweet potatoes (3 pounds) or 4 orange sweet potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick sticks (3 pounds)
- In a large pot, heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 350°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the nori flakes with the shichimi togarashi, salt and pepper. In another small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the sambal oelek and lime juice.
- Working in batches, fry the sweet potato sticks until they are tender and golden, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sweet potato fries to paper towel–lined plates to drain.
- Generously sprinkle the hot fries with the nori-togarashi mixture and serve immediately with the spicy mayonnaise on the side.