Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from a website called CHOW; I've altered it to my taste. It originally called for dried tarragon, one of my least favorite flavors. Feel free to add it back in if you like. I also used buttermilk instead of milk hoping for a better "glue" for the breadcrumbs. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest, loosely packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Whisk the eggs and buttermilk together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a shallow pan combine the lemon zest, cayenne pepper, Old Bay Seasoning and flour; set aside.
- Heat your oil over medium heat in a heavy frying pan, cast iron works great.
- Dry tomato slices off with paper towels. Then dip in flour and shake off the excess; dip in egg wash letting the excess drip off. Press into the bread crumbs getting them well coated.
- Fry tomato slices about 1 minute per side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.