A great way to enjoy one sadly overlooked vegetable. The Eggplant. Add your favorite protein for a great one dish meal! This is my version of my friend Mayumi's recipe. I prefer the long and thin Japanese or Chinese eggplant. They taste less acidic.
- Combine Soy sauce, mirin, crushed garlic and ginger in a bowl.
- Slice your eggplant thinly and into small pieces.
- Toss eggplant in hot pan (I use a spray oil like Pam) with the sauce mixture.
- Sauté at a medium heat until very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add a little water to keep the veg moist if necessary.
- Great as a side dish for fish or chicken.
- Add diced medium firm tofu or any other protein for a very simple, quick meal.
Great, simple dish. I find it hard to saute eggplants without using a lot of oil( since they soak it up easily).But the addition of a little water did the trick. It is now a rather healthy,low-fat dish! Thanks! ( and i reduced the soy sauce too!)
I thoroughly enjoyed this dish, I did it with Soy but I do think it would be better with tamari as it would not be quite as salty. It is so easy to do and it is something I will do again but with tamari.
Good ! I made the recipe as directed. I was a bit disappointed with the flavor - I expectd it to be sweeter.