Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Chilled, crisp salads are one of the great summer dishes, and a refreshing eat-it-anytime meal. Almost any food can be a part of an enticing salad -- vegetables, fruits, pasta, potatoes, meats, cheese, herbs. This Japanese Egg Salad showcases fluffy white rice, shrimp, hard-boiled eggs and Romaine lettuce leaves; tossed in a tangy French dressing with capers and chives. A delicious alternative to the same-old, same-old egg salad.
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 cup French dressing (Recipe Below)
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, chopped finely
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 4 sweet gherkins, chopped
- 1 lb cooked shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1⁄2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons capers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, rub between fingers to waken flavor
- 1 large garlic clove, cut in half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons yellow onions, grated
- Cook rice per instructions on box, drain.
- Add 1/2 cup of French Dressing (See Below), onion, three (3) of the eggs - diced, pickles, and the shrimp. Salt and pepper to taste. Gently mix so all ingredients are coated with the dressing; chill.
- On a chilled, large serving platter arrange the Romaine lettuce leaves, sprinkle with the shredded cabbage and carrots. (Reserve a couple tablespoons of the cabbage and carrots for garnish.).
- Use an icecream scoop to place a scoop of the egg mixture on each lettuce leaf.
- Grate the remaining egg whites and yolks SEPARATELY. Sprinkle over the salad.
- Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of French Dressing with tomato sauce, capers and scallions; drizzle over the salad. Garnish with reserved shredded cabbage and carrots, and the chopped olives.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
- French Dressing:.
- Add all the ingredients into a sealable container, shake thoroughly. Remove garlic before serving. Refrigerate leftover dressing.