1/1 Photo of Japanese Dinner on a Dollar
1 hr 15 mins
A Japanese style meal that is tasty and economical, consisting of chicken that marinates while it cooks, BBQ black eyed peas with no BBQ required and a warm Japanese style slaw that has just a tiny bit of tang. Please do not let the list of ingredients scare you off as they are mostly pantry staples. The number of steps looks like there is a lot of work involved but once the chicken and beans are cooking you will have time to wipe down the kitchen or even write a recipe as the slaw does not get made till just 10 minutes before the chicken is done.**Do Not overcook slaw as it should be crispy tender**
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 chicken drumsticks or 680.38-907.18 g chicken drumsticks
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml ponzu sauce, lime sauce
- 14.79 ml ketchup
- 118.29 ml honey
- 1-1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
BBQ Black Eyed Peas
- 177.44 ml ketchup
- 118.29 ml pure maple syrup
- 7.39 ml liquid smoke flavoring
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 473.18 ml canned black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1Japanese Chicken-.
- 2Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 3Place chicken in 9x13 inch baking dish.
- 4Mix together the oil, soy sauce, ketchup, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken.
- 5Bake in oven for one hour turning half way through.
- 6BBQ Black Eyed Peas-.
- 7Once chicken is in oven mix ketchup, pure maple syrup, smoke flavoring, mustard powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- 8Heat until bubbling and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 9While sauce is simmering chop and saute onions until soft and translucent about 5 minutes.
- 10Add sauted onions and black eyed peas to simmering sauce, cover and simmer on low till chicken is done.
- 11Warm Slaw-.
- 12**Do Not start this till 10 minutes before chicken is done**.
- 13***Careful not to overcook your slaw it should be crispy tender***.
- 14Slice cabbage and carrots into thin strips.
- 15Spray very large fry pan or wok with cooking spray and toss in cabbage and carrots cooking over medium-low heat. Let the cabbage heat through and soften a bit about 3 minutes.
- 16Meanwhile make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, rice vinegar, pure maple syrup, Sriracha Hot Chili sauce, lime juice, ground giner, salt and pepper.
- 17Pour the dressing over the cabbage and lightly toss it to coat. Heat through about another two minutes. Should be just slightly wilted.
- 18Hope you Enjoy your dinner!
Browse Our Top Japanese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Japanese Dinner on a Dollar
Serving Size: 1 (590 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 746.4
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 118.2 mg
- Sodium 1063.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 81.8 g
- Protein 37.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
liquid smoke flavoring