Japanese Dashi (Bonito Fish Stock)
- Wipe konbu once with damp cloth and cut into strips.
- Do not wipe off white residue as it dries.
- Bring konbu strips and water to a boil over medium heat; remove konbu.
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup ice water to stock to stop boiling.
- Add bonito flakes and return to boil; then remove from heat.
- When bonito flakes have all sunk from top, strain stock through cheesecloth or coffee filter placed over sieve into another pot.
- Use as directed in recipes.
- Freeze excess for later use, if desired.