Prep 2 mins
Cook 15 mins
A staple for Japanese cooking and recipes. I make a lot and freeze the extra into ice cubes to have on hand when I need it.
- Wipe konbu once with damp cloth and cut into strips.
- Do not wipe off white residue as it dries.
- Bring konbu strips and water to a boil over medium heat; remove konbu.
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup ice water to stock to stop boiling.
- Add bonito flakes and return to boil; then remove from heat.
- When bonito flakes have all sunk from top, strain stock through cheesecloth or coffee filter placed over sieve into another pot.
- Use as directed in recipes.
- Freeze excess for later use, if desired.
Super idea and great instructions. Freezing dashi works just fine. Thanks for posting this recipe Sue L.
I never thought of freezing left over Dashi in ice cube trays. What a wonderful tip!