This recipe comes from Saveur magazine, and it tastes just like the curry we had in Japan. It seems to be a forgiving recipe: I used a sprinkle of dry ginger instead of fresh, left out the bay leaf, used 1/2 cup of apple sauce instead of a grated apple, used chicken bullion instead of stock and used ketchup instead of crushed tomatoes. Serve with freshly steamed rice. It doesn't take a long time to make, and isn't complicated although it has a long list of ingredients. Edit - A few reviewers think that 1/2 cup of applesauce makes it too sweet, so please adjust to your tastes if you decide to substitute it for the apple :-)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into chunks
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium carrot, chopped to 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium potato, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1 small fuji apple, grated
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Bring chicken stock to a simmer. Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper, and brown in oil. After approx 4 minutes, remove to a separate dish and set aside.
- Melt the butter and add ginger, garlic, and onion. Cook a few minutes until done. Sprinkle in the flour and cook until browned (basically, make a roux.) Add curry powder and tomatoes, stir well. Mix in 1/2 cup hot stock, making sure to scrape the stuff off of the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour the mixture into the simmering stock. Add the chicken, onion, potato, and carrot. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the apples, soy sauce, and honey. Allow to cook for 5 more minutes, remove from heat and serve with rice.
Very tasty recipe but way too spicy for myself and my son. My husband liked the spice, though. I liked how easy it was to put together. I will make it again either with milder curry powder or with less. Made for ZWT6 ZINGO for team SSaSSy.
We thoroughly enjoyed this dish! my changes were using an extra garlic clove, ketchup as suggested, only 1 TBLS of curry - still plenty spicy, and 2/3 of a Granny Smith apple (should have added it all). This went together easily and has a nice complex taste without being complex to make. I wasn't sure if I'd like the potato in it but found that it was good. I served this over jasmine rice. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT 6 ZINGO by one of the Unrulies Under the Influence.
Delicious. Made per recipe except made it vegan, so subbed margarine, left out chicken and put in edamame. Kids inhaled this. Will definitely do this again. Thanks for a great recipe.