Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking. I ususally make it with 2 regular cucumbers sliced on a mandolin slicer. And I just throw unaltered sesame seeds in it.
- 6 pickling cucumbers (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, lightly crushed and roasted
- Slice cucumbers very very fine.
- Put slices in a bowl and sprinkle with salt, mix well, & set aside for one hour.
- Squeeze cucumbers &discard liquid.
- Add other ingredients and combine.
Nice. I make one similar, but add a little splenda. (Use sugar if you prefer, but I am diabetic.) Keep on hand in the fridge to go with everything!
Nice and low cal side dish! I did add a 1/4 tsp of sesame oil which really worked nicely and next time I will add less soy. THANKS!
Yum! After salting the cucumbers for 1 hour I did rinse and drain. I pan toasted the seeds. Thanks.