Recipe by tomoko matsunaga
I made this last summer holidays when I went back to Japan.It's really crispy and really nice, and you can serve it with fried sweet potato (satsuma imo), which we cook like french fries.
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin on
- salt and pepper, for taste
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- oil, to deep fry
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Trim off all the yellow fat from the chicken.
- Prick it all over with a fork.
- Rub the salt and pepper into the chicken.
- Marinate the chicken for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil for deep frying in a wok or deep pan.
- Dry the chicken with the kitchen paper.
- Coat the chicken with the corn starch.
- Shake off any extra corn starch.
- Deep fry until nice and golden colour and cooked through.
- We can tell by how it feels, but you might check it with a skewer and see that no red juices are running.