Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Received this in email today when our heat index was 102F! It was so hot I did not even brew a pot of coffee this am! This gelatin recipe will replace coffee tomorrow - I listed it as a dessert but think I'll be having for breakfast! Will make as written first then try with Splenda (1:1 substitution). Three hours is chill time. Thank you, Ms. Bertha Robbards - this is going to be mighty refreshing!
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 3⁄4 cups coffee, strong, hot
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon coffee, finely ground (optional)
- For a firmer jelly, use 1 1/2 envelopes unflavored gelatin.
- Soften gelatin in cold water. Add coffee and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Pour into 8 x 4-inch loaf dish and chill until firm.
- Cut into cubes and spoon into small dessert glasses. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with finely ground coffee.