Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I received this recipe from my friend Karen, when I lived in California. These are good served hot or cold. They are so tasty.
- Rinse off chicken.
- Combine all ingredients, except chicken, and bring to a boil. Leave on a low boil for 15 minutes.
- Add in chicken drummettes. Let boil for one hour or more until it all thickens and becomes sticky.
- Then let it stand for about ten minutes and then refrigerate.
- Can serve warm or cold(I have had them both ways and either way is good).
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds once arranged on platter and garnish with parsley.
I made this last night and it came it DELICIOUS!!! It was my first attempt at making this and I was surprise how simple it was to make. However, I noticed that the recipe suggested 1lb of chicken, I think the sauce could've easily accommodate 2lbs of chicken wings.
I altered the recipe a bit. I used Low-Sodium Soy Sauce instead of regular, and used 3/4 of a cup instead of the suggested 1 cup of soy-sauce. Next time I'll reduce it to 1/2 cup of soy sauce for 1lb...unless I'm making 2lbs of chicken wings then I'll use 3/4 of a cup.
Remember after you bring the sauce to a boil and turn it to a low boil, continue to simmer the chicken in the sauce in the low boiling heat for an hour and the sauce will thicken nicely =p.
These came out great! We thought they were pretty salty. Next time I'll use low sodium soy sauce and that should take care of that. Thanks so much for posting this yummy recipe.
A simplified alternative to teriyaki is made with chicken grilled to perfection.