Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Light and refreshing easy soup.
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 1 lb chicken bones or 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 green onions, cut in 4,green part included
- 2-inch fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons rice flour or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 large fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 slices of thin limes or 6 slices lemons
- FOR THE CHICKEN BROTH: Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Cool and strain through a very fine sieve to make as clear a broth as possible.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Remove all particles of fat that settle on top.
- Yield: 8 cups.
- FOR THE CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM SOUP: Cut chicken breast into long slivers.
- Place in a bowl.
- Pour sake on top and marinate 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cut the mushrooms into small quarters.
- You may add one imported dried mushroom for more flavour if you wish.
- Drain the chicken, reserving the sake.
- Roll each piece of chicken in rice flour or cornstarch.
- Drop into a saucepan of boiling water and poach 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Bring the chicken broth to the boil, add the reserved sake and taste for salt.
- Add mushrooms and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces.
- To serve, place a few pieces of chicken and some mushrooms in individual bowls, then fill the bowl with broth.
- Top with a paper-thin slice of lime or lemon.
- Serves 6.
- *If you don't have chicken bones then use altogether for the chicken broth 3 pounds of chicken wings.
- Madame Benoit's World of Food.