Recipe by James Craig
This recipe was published in the July, 1980 issue of Family Circle magazine.
Top Review by Bergy
Your Japanese Chicken is very tasty and goes well with other oriental dishes. Instead of green peas I used sugar peas and barely cooked them. I had Saki on hand so I used that and it gave a nice subtle flavor (of course I had to test the saki as I was cooking definately good) Excellent recipe thanks James I'll be watching for more of your recipes
- 4 medium dried Chinese mushrooms
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 can bamboo shoot
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sake or 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon shoyu (Japanese soy sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup lightly cooked green peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash mushrooms, soak in warm water for 20 minutes, rinse, squeeze dry, remove stalks and cut the caps into quarters.
- Skin the chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into halves, carefully remove the bones, cut flesh into 1/2 inch squares.
- Dice the carrots and drained bamboo shoots.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- add chicken, carrots, mushrooms and bamboo shoots, cook over high heat, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, sake and sugar, cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, for another 7 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce and cook gently until chicken is tender, stir in the green peas and reheat.
- Serve with rice.