Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'haven't tried this recipe yet. Recipe published in the Montréal Gazette, July 27, 2005.
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Place all salad ingredients together in a bowl.
- Toss with dressing right before serving, so as not to lose crunch.
Easy to prepare and well received by dinner guests. I used EVO instead of vegetable oil and cut back a bit on the overall oil content of the dish. It was quite sweet so I will reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup next time. Will definitely put this into the menu rotation.
Great tasting, great looking salad! I used all red cabbage and pumpkin seeds for almonds, because that's what I had. Very easy, and healthy, as well! Just a little on the sweet side for us, and I did add a little more vinegar, but the basic idea of the salad is wonderful! Will do a lot!
I made this as part of my salad theme for the Three Chefs game. It is yummy. Thank you Poutine!