Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
It's what's inside that counts! My japanese mother makes this all the time. It's quick and easy and tastes great!
- Wash cabbage leaves and steam or boil them to soften.
- Mince shiitake mushrooms, carrot, and onion.
- Mix ground pork, shiitake, carrot, and onion in a bowl. Add salt and mix further. Divide the pork mixture into 8 portions.
- Put one portion of pork mixture on a cabbage leaf and roll it. Make 8 cabbage rolls.
- Put chicken soup stock and soy sauce in a deep pan and place cabbage rolls in the pan. Simmer the cabbage rolls on low heat until meat is cooked.
Loved this! Yes...agreed - it was a bit bland at first so we used a little soy sauce over them. Luckily we only ate half of it, because when I had the rest later on - it was amazing! So basically just let it sit...or have it simmer for longer on a lower heat. The perfect dish to cook earlier on in the day to get it out of the way. That way it can sit, and you can reheat it when you are ready to eat :)
My daughter found this recipe today for us to try. It was so good! I was afraid it would be bland like other reviewers said. I thought so my first bite but not any after. I think I was trying to compare it to the German cabbage rolls I grew up with. I did have to use baby bellas because I couldn't find the other mushrooms. I also couldn't find ground pork at two stores. I ended up using boneless center cut pork chops that I ran through the food processor. I think ground chicken would be an acceptable substitution as well. I will be be doubling the recipe next time because there were no leftovers after the three us were done.
I tried these and they were a little bland at the beginning. I used ground beef instead of pork because we aren't fond of ground pork. I also added a sauce made from tomato soup undiluted mixed with some brown sugar and ginger and soy sauce. I added a tiny bit of red pepper flakes for a "kick" and they were very good. Thank you for sharing this simple way to make something we all love. At least our family does!