Recipe by Chicagopm
This recipe is from the "Japanese Cooking Class Cookbook" by the editors of Consumer Guide.
Top Review by GraceyGracey
Clear, easy and tasty recipe. We have just the same at the Japan centre in London and it's great havng it at home too now!!! We use light soy sauce to make it healthier and we top it with a small bunch of green beans, 2 large cup mushrooms and a couple of baby corn...and while it's still piping hot, we crack a raw egg on top and mix the whole thing. Delicious!
- 12 ounces boneless beef sirloin
- 6 green onions
- 2 1⁄2 cups short-grain rice
- cold water
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef into 1/8 inch thick slices.
- Cut slices into strips about 1 inch wide and 2 or 3 inches long.
- Cut green onions crosswise into 1 inch lengths.
- Wash rice with cold water.
- Cook rice with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 3/4 cups of water.
- About 10 minutes before serving, heat remaining 1/4 cup water, the mirin and soy sauce to boiling over medium high heat.
- Add beef and boil until beef reaches desired doneness.
- Add green onions and boil 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide rice among 4 individual serving bowls.
- Place equal amounts of beef and onions over rice in each bowl.
- Ladle equal amounts of cooking liquid into each bowl.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: I sometimes add a litte ginger, garlic, pea pods, green beans (cooked), bamboo shoots or water chestnuts to the mix.