Recipe by kolibri
This is originally a Swedish recipe, but it has been a Finnish favourite for a long time. It's unsure who Jansson was - some say it was a pastor and this dish was his only temptation - but suffice to say that it's quite delicious. Traditional recipe has julienned potatoes, but if this seems like too much work you can thinly slice them too.
Top Review by jadw59
This should be made with sprats (Sprattus sprattus) and not with anchovies. The confusion arises out of the Swedish word being "Ansjovis". These are obtainable at Swedish shops in 125g tins
- 125 g anchovy fillets
- 500 g potatoes, julienned
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 118.29 ml dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Fry the onions until soft, and mix with julienned potatoes.
- Chop anchovy fillets finely, and keep the anchovy juices.
- In a shallow oven dish, put in a thin layer of potato onion mixture, followed by some anchovies. Repeat until you have used everything, ending up with a potato layer on top.
- Mix the cream with the anchovy juices and pour on the dish.
- Bake in the oven for about an hour.
- Before serving, top with fresh dill.