This is originally a Swedish recipe, but it has been a Finnish favourite for a long time. It's unsure who Jansson was - some say it was a pastor and this dish was his only temptation - but suffice to say that it's quite delicious. Traditional recipe has julienned potatoes, but if this seems like too much work you can thinly slice them too.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Fry the onions until soft, and mix with julienned potatoes.
- Chop anchovy fillets finely, and keep the anchovy juices.
- In a shallow oven dish, put in a thin layer of potato onion mixture, followed by some anchovies. Repeat until you have used everything, ending up with a potato layer on top.
- Mix the cream with the anchovy juices and pour on the dish.
- Bake in the oven for about an hour.
- Before serving, top with fresh dill.