Prep 48 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
I got the recipe from my mother in law and adapted to my own.
- 1 leftover ham bone
- 2 carrots, chopped fine or 10 baby carrots
- 3 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb dried split peas (soaked overnite)
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash onion and herb seasoning
- 4 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb leftover ham
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- In a saucepan, melt margarine, add celery, onion and carrots.
- Saute until celery and onion are translucent.
- In a large pot add 2quarts of water, celery mixture and ham bone.
- Add Mrs dash and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes or reduced.
- Take bay leaf out and ham bone.
- Take ham off bone and add leftover ham to water.Remove bay leaves.
- Add split peas and add 2 more quarts of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 1-2 hours.
- With a potato masher mash peas while simmering.
The recipe works perfectly & is delicious! But it makes closer to 8 servings! I 'quick soaked'my peas - brought them to a boil for a minute, put the lid on & let them sit. Worked fine. Yummy stuff - thank you!