Recipe by Jan from Frankfort, IL
It is easy to prepare and tastes better the next day.
Top Review by Cookin-jo
The bacon was a wonderful addition to sauerkraut along with the onion. I added a bit of brown sugar but didn't change a thing otherwise. This recipe was easy to make and very good, and did taste better the next day. Thank you, Jan.
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until just about crisp.
- Place on a paper towel to drain fat.
- Discard fat from frying pan except for about 1 tablespoon.
- Chop onion into 1 inch pieces.
- Place in pan and saute until translucent.
- Place on same paper towel to drain fat.
- In a large pot, place sauerkraut,1 or 2 cans of water, bacon and onion.
- Cook sauerkraut at least one half hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Tastes better the next day.
- Optional- You can cook a link (1 pound) of fresh Polish sausage for added flavor and use the meat as part of your meal.